Sunday, July 28, 2019

Week one

Well, in order to write this blog that meant I had to sign into my email (at school), which meant I would need the @ sign, and I had to ask someone how to do that because the keyboard is different.
If that doesn´t describe my life right now in one instance then I don´t know what does.
typical Peruvian lunch spot
There are so many things that are different!
They eat lunch around 2. Times are more like suggestions. Don´t even get me started on how in the world I´ll eventually be able to tell the streets apart (it's called the 'white city' for a reason). So glad there are street signs! The air is dry-no one has dryers. Everyone dries their clothes outside! A/C and heat isn´t really a thing, but it´s not needed (for the most part). I am avoiding the obvious-that I never know what is going on because I don´t speak Spanish YET. I have a Spanish tutor though, so that´s pretty cool.
Te view is breathtaking. The people at school are incredibly kind. I haven't encountered anyone who makes fun of attempts at Spanish. There are so many things to constantly see and look at. I have a Peruvian phone number, so that's cool. They have Starbucks for when I want to pretend I am in America (they write my name as Beck too lol).
typical Peruvian street-with not so typical sunglasses. 
The Lord is teaching me where to find my identity. I am first and foremost a child of the King, and I want my life here to embody that. I am thankful for my friends back in the states to keep me centered on His promises for my life, and how He is my constant amidst this inconsistency the first two months, while they change my status (hello work visa). I am learning to really embrace who I am without anyone here to guide me in my values and beliefs. I have the option to 'recreate' who I am, but honestly- I love who I am in the Lord and He designed me the same in America or in Peru.
My friend, Karina, who keeps me laughing and running
everywhere and is my future adventure buddy!
Of course there are triggering things, but my treatment team and I prepared for it. I have old friends, and new friends here that are showing me around the city. Helping me translate, navigating how to get from place to place, and being my friend to make plans with. I already feel included which is SUCH a blessing. I am having to work recovery not necessarily by my self because I have lots of support back in the states, but in a sense doing it without everyone around me knowing I am in recovery.
My bud, Dalia, and her daughter showing me around;
translating, and helping me buy essentials (like sunscreen!)
Overall, it is an experience that no one could possibly prepare you for. It is something that few people can relate to (shout out to Mikayla for helping me with that!!). It is an experience that I don't take for granted because my number one response when I told people I was moving abroad was, "Wow I wish I would've done that." Well, here I am doing that, not looking back for a second.

1 comment: