Friday, April 17, 2020

Contentment, recovery, and the new member of Spanish class with 4 legs.

If you are within the 'Christianese' language, you probably are familiar with Philippians 4:13. 'I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.'
Yes. BUT. What is the context of this verse? Let me help you; short back story. Paul wrote this in prison waiting to hear if he would be executed. Before this he talks of all seeing Christ as Lord, doing all with the mind and attitude of Christ. That all else is worthless comparing to knowing Christ. Pressing onto His perfection because as a Christ follower, I am a citizen of heaven. Joy continual comes from Jesus. Keeping your eyes higher focused.
THEN.
So my hair is getting long. My friends adore it.
I'll see how long I let this go. 
We come to 4:10-14. He is so thankful the Philippians have been so concerned for him, however they were unable to help. But that is ok because Paul learned to be CONTENT with ALL things. Rich, poor; house, jungle; food, no food; healthy, sick; prison, free. BECAUSE he can do all things through Christ who gives him the strength. The same applies for us right now. Oh what a time to have this realization.
Joy seems to be lacking. Paul counted it nothing but an honor to suffer for Christ.
Having the eyes of Christ is growing tougher. Stephen (the first martyr), as he was being stoned to death, prayed for those killing him to be forgiven.
So much worth is being placed on things. Jesus made clear in his teachings' that in order to follow Him we must give up all and just--go.
Not giving up seems harder and harder each day. In Acts there are so many accounts of God's people going and sharing and being persecuted, and yet going back over and over because their eyes were fixed on higher things.
'nuff said.
One thing I am learning and processing is recovery being rooted in Christ. Specifically eating disorder recovery. Accepting Christ is IN Ed recovery is something I have intentionally ignored/put off/been in denial about/defensive if brought up. (Sorry AnaLu...😳) Something I have been processing is the difference between self control and willpower. I have always been under the impression I can't do either with Ed and oh how wrong I was. The difference? Willpower is the absence of Christ, and self control is a fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) So, there's that. Praying through any other maladaptive behavior and praying through Ed behaviors are starting to look the same, and that's pretty eye opening that is changing my life one prayer at a time, one coping skill, one session, one text; one of many things that God provides for us as a way out. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
In other news, I spend hours a day outside so I am getting a tan, and have now made this dog friend. His owners let him run around the grassy area on a long leash everyday.
El perrito. Sometimes he has clothes on too.
My Spanish teacher, Pao, adores him. She always says in the highest pitch voice you can imagine, 'LIIIIIIIINDO!!!' If you know me at all you know my reaction is *eye roll*, "Oh my goshhhhhh", and repeat the pattern multiple times. One thing I am immensely thankful for is that I see either AnaLu or Pao every week day. Spanish class feels kinda like therapy because dear Pao hears so much. (Lo siento...pero no lo siento Pao. 😋) Then of course #analoowoo. At least AnaLu knew craziness would occur. Anyways, God has sure blessed me insurmountably.
The face Pao gets following her excitement. 
Peru's plan for quarantine? I donno. Stay tuned. For now I am thankful for my Saturday shopping trips with my American buddy, Davis! I am thankful for technology to let me do so many things to stay connected. I am thankful to be here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. 
This is Peru. This is home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment