Friday, January 6, 2017

THE year of bold claims

First blog of 2017!
Ringing in 2017 was one for the books. Short story. 2 years ago, thanks to our mutual friend, Varina; Sara (girl pictured below) and I became 'virtual friends'. Fast forward to now; why not go spend all weekend with a girl I've never met but feel like I have. A girl that loves hard; loves Jesus; loves people; loves doing life. Sounded like a match, so off I went to Birmingham.
Sara and I did this epic train run New Year's Eve morning. I didn't race in 2016 so this was a huge deal for me. I fueled properly, drank water, hugged it out with smiles and encouragement as Sara ran off, and then off I went into the Red Mountain Park for 6.2 miles. Those were the best racing miles yet because they were ran while seeking recovery (and the hilliest course I've ever ran). Getting to finish strong and not feel terrible is a one in a million experience I can't wait to relive all season long.
Sara and Meg; real friends for 12 hours but newfound life bud as a BOBCAT.
The story gets better. Sara always ran with this bracelet; to remind her that her worth isn't in her numbers, speed, distance; her worth is in what is said about her. She is enough; I am enough. Not because of what we do, but because of what Christ did. I told her how much I struggle with that and how I thought of her bracelet through the run; she proceeded to take it off her wrist and tell me it's my turn to have it.
I am here to say to 2017 that I am enough. Period.
I am enoughnotbecause of how far I can run, how fast my 5k is, what my weekly mileage is; the list is endless. I am enough and that's that. There's no comma, no semicolon; just a PERIOD. I'm not saying I have that one down, but is one that I actively work on every time I step out the door.

2017 will be THE year; not 'another' year. Last year I made the complete opposite claim. That 2016 would be 'another' year; nothing special. And God has GOTTA be laughing about that one. 
I am making the bold claim that 2017 will be filled with lots of experiencing moments; lots of early morning joys, spontaneous nights of pizza after runs with FF, road trips to Memphis, early morning pool time, art projects, all the chips from Sombra, and so many more fun moments. 
2017 is going to be THE year; all year expect, 'this time last year I was starting treatment round 1'; 'this time last year I had to stop working because I couldn't handle it anymore'.

 Because I simply can't help but admire the past 12 months and glory in the fact I'm still here. I can't help but continue to scream until I can't anymore about how BIG His love is; His grace is; His plans are. That I am not only still here but getting to have new life.
This year I will be on my two feet, not only surviving but standing firm. 
This year I will look back and see His faithfulness while looking ahead at the newness of life. Seeing what adventures await.
so many reasons to jump for joy
The last few weeks I have been working on this art project with Kelley. It's about body image and what I want/am: one side is 'unrealistic expectations', and the other is 'recovery/self'. I spent a solid 2 weeks searching magazines endlessly finding all the right pictures. I finally had the right ones and proceeded to put the pieces together. Gluing the unrealistic expectations down was more liberating than I anticipated it being. It was letting go false 'hope' and looking to the recovery self. Putting the recovery self parts on the page was this newfound freedom in what I can continue to seek.
 The picture below is what I see for recovery. Joy over the FUN in racing. Not over how far it was, how fast it was; just the companionship of it all. Joy in enjoying sweet potato fries, greek yogurt, Newk's  favorite salad, soups. Joy in not hesitating for candy I love at work; coaching people to reach their goals and not compare my numbers to theirs.
My "OD" (other dad) and I have run lots of miles together I'll say. 
Recovery is being thrilled for the accomplishment at what my body can do, not what I can do to burn calories. Recovery is not blinking an eye for spontaneity and experiencing the moments. 
Recovery is coming for me; I am seeking it for 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment