Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm not that girl.

God's doing some smacking me in the face this past-I don't know how long.  As you have read-I am a double music education major-trumpet and voice.  I am an RA, in 9 things to learn music for, one being the musical=wonderfully life consuming, but I had to drop KT which breaks my heart!  Safe to say-this is physically no way possible to genuinely do all these things 100%-happily.  I know the Lord created each one of us differently and I have different life desires than other people.  My desire is not ONLY music.  That is a major part, but there IS life outside of Aven -this I have not really seen much of this year and to be honest I can't stand it.  I miss my hall, I miss KT, and I miss having FUN with what I do.  I attempted to tell myself, "Self-you WILL like double majoring"-but that faded quickly as the semester picked up.  So then my stupid pride got in the way of me telling anyone because most everyone didn't think I could do it.  So I wanted to be THAT kid (so selfish) that DID the impossible.  I am here to tell you; I am NOT that girl.

 I am dropping trumpet music education and I wish I could say I have some crazy peace about it-but I don't.  What I do know is that when you don't enjoy practicing-or dread going to certain rehearsals-that is a problem.  What I do know is that I love putting effort into voice and piano and that is enough for me.
I can hardly believe that I went through so much trouble to get to this point to drop it within a few months.  But it was indeed worth the try, and answered my questions of if I could do it and still maintain my life-NO.
With that I am now going back active into KT and I could not be more happier!  I am getting to spend more time on my hall, and getting to have more 'dates' with people.
KT sisters with the new babies!

Something else I have been learning is what genuine beauty looks like.  As we all know-I dress exactly how I want, and don't ask if it looks 'cute'.  Monday I had my office hour and it's the one day a week for 1/2 a day I dress how other people tell me to; for an office.  Afterwards I put on a 'normal' outfit, and one of my friends, Kendall, saw me in the caf and told me that though I was pretty and all in my dress, that I was much more beautiful in my outfit then-consisting of athletic pants, a shirt, scarf, headband, and some sandals.  I don't know why -but it started an overflow in my heart that beauty for each person looks different.  I genuinely feel much more 'me' and beautiful in my leggings, nike shorts, tie-die shirt, crazy shoes and fun headband, than I do in a dress and flats.  Some girls feel beautiful in a pretty dress and jewelry.  However-again the phrase comes back- I am not that girl.


my 'twins' Becca and Kendall 

As a side note a few weeks ago I got the pleasure of going to Memphis with my best friends to see my favorite band:  Shane and Shane.  Now their new CD holds a special place in my heart because I learned the whole thing in Ottawa-my favorite place.  The song, "Liberty" was my favorite dance song with my family, so every time I hear it I yearn to just grab Lillie, Hannah, or Caleb and spin with them.  When it says, "It is done!" It is SUCH a moment of pure abandon-it was awesome and yet bittersweet.

front and center-no zoom

2 comments:

  1. Love you Meg. :) I'm glad you were able to just drop things that needed to be dropped so you could enjoy what you're doing more, instead of thinking you HAD to be That Girl. Y'know. :) And I really think shorts+leggins+crazy shirt+shoes+headband is really YOU and you're absolutely beautiful being YOU!! :) Anything else just wouldn't be you. ;) Yayyy for KT again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leggings. Not leggins. I'm not thaaaat Southern.

    ReplyDelete